2.13.2011

Blue Valentine

I can't really sing. I have to sing goofy, in order to sing. I have to sing stupid.

Dean: In my experience, the prettier a girl is, the more nuts she is, which makes you insane.
Cindy: I like how you can compliment and insult somebody at the same time, in equal measure.

How can you trust your feelings when they can just disappear like that?

This film surprised me. It wasn't what I expected, which was a good thing. It was beautiful in a way that the emotions were so raw and painful. The film revolved around a dying love, the struggle to keep the relationship with flash backs of how extremely happy and crazily in love they were as a couple. 

It was so painful to watch because we've all been there one way or another. We've all experienced the honeymoon stage of love, how exciting it was and how you couldn't get enough of one another. And then things just aren't as amusing and cute anymore.. the relationship becomes a struggle and you try to keep it alive until you just want to give it all up. 

After watching this I had to give my review to a friend so I messaged him, "Depressing and sad." But I forgot to mention "brilliantly crafted". Of course it HAD to be if the script had to go through 66 drafts over 12 years!  

I also fell in love with the 70's song by Penny & the Quarters so I'm posting it here too.

3 comments:

  1. ahhh i really, really liked how this movie was stripped down to the essentials. not one line or one movement was unnecessary. even each silence contributed to understanding why a love so intense and real could dissolve. and ryan gosling is just delicioussssssss (but makes for a really hideous bald guy haha) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGakxDyjwzc

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s. if you like beautiful, raw, painful ryan gosling movies with good soundtracks, watch half nelson!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know! I'm currently downloading Half Nelson. :)

    Honestly I didn't even notice it was Ryan during the first scenes. That do's TERRIBLE on him!

    ReplyDelete